Home Community People Introducing the work of Kieren Stein

Introducing the work of Kieren Stein

I am Kieren, I live in Byron Bay and have an aerial view of the world. I got my first camera at a young age and carried it with me wherever I could. It was an ugly, bright yellow, automatic, film camera. I didn’t care, though, I loved it.

I couldn’t put my finger on it at the time (no pun intended), but there was something about capturing the most exciting events from my perspective that had me hooked.   I couldn’t figure out why, but the feeling of immortalizing a moment had me hooked. I tried to capture everything – from my friend’s lunchtime antics to the New Year’s Eve fire works – albeit with varying success, so I was ecstatic when I got my first digital camera. A whole 2 megapixels with no zoom.

Over the following years I would look back on my early photos and shudder; leading me put my camera down and let it gather dust for my guitar and other hobbies.

It was only in the rise of the smart phone that I started thinking about the world of photography again. Camera phones had given me a new way to explore my forgotten interest.

Eventually, my phone wasn’t enough, and a few years ago I finally invested in a decent DSLR.

I timidly stuck my toe into the world of photography again; though the bit more seriously this time. I mostly photographed landscapes with a touch of portraiture; using my friends as camera fodder.

Exploring photography websites gave me inspiration, posting my pictures gave me feedback and in turn confidence.

I have taken my camera around the world with me, trying to use every new opportunity as a way to improve. I’m excited to see where it takes me and to be a part of new projects in the future.

CG: You can follow Kieran’s work on Instagram @k.m.stein_photo

silhouette Milford moerekai quiet sunset fire sky deep blue 3 rocks

The Common Ground of Byron Bay. If you wish to contribute, please contact: Kirra Pendergast P: 0408 068 824 E: kirra@commongroundaustralia.com

SIMILAR ARTICLES

When did you move to the great Byron region? Been here most of my life.Day job?Taught Theatre, Drama...

All photos thanks to David Taylor - www.davidtaylorphotographer.com Splendour in the Grass 2018 was all blue skies and good vibes as North Byron Parklands played host...

You may have seen his incredible photography work on Instagram or Facebook, but we wanted to know more. So who is Rod Evans? Born in...

Mac's Store is legendary to most Byron locals having been the drop in point on Bangalow Road for everything from a burger to a...